• Human-Translated Fact Sheets and Video
  • Large Print

Add To Favorites In PHR

How to Obtain VA Medical, Burial, and Benefits Records

By: VA’s Freedom of Information Act

The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) provides that any person has a right of access to Federal agency records, except to the extent that such records are protected from release by a FOIA exemption or a special law enforcement record exclusion.

It is VA's policy to release information to the fullest extent under the law.

Categories of VA records:

Medical Records - submit request to the Director of the VA medical facility where the individual was last treated or to the FOIA/Privacy Act Officer at Veterans Health Administration, VA Central Office.

National Cemetery Records - submit request to the Director, National Cemetery Area Office, or to the FOIA/Privacy Act Officer, National Cemetery Administration, VA Central Office.

Benefits Records - submit request to the FOIA/Privacy Act Officer at the VA Regional Office serving the individual's jurisdiction, or to the FOIA/Privacy Act Officer of the Veterans Benefits Administration, VA Central Office. (Compensation and Pension; Loan Guaranty; Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment; Insurance, and Education.)

All records must be requested by submitting a FOIA request.

FOIA/Privacy Act Officer

National Cemetery Administration FAQ

Veterans Benefit Administration FAQs  


Driving Walking/Biking Public Transit  Get Directions